In the valley of the Walnut River
Winfield Kansas is situated in the valley of the Walnut River in the southern most part of the Kansas Flint Hills. It is located seventeen miles north of the Kansas-Oklahoma border in South central Kansas. The City limits of Winfield span approximately 12.9 square miles and sits at an elevation of 1,129 feet above sea level. It is a city with a population of roughly 12,000 residents and is the county seat of Cowley County. Students and faculty at Southwestern College bring an additional 1,700 bodies to the area during the school year.
Winfield's history dates back to 1870 when it was chosen by the founding fathers as center of the county and was on the fine plateau of the second bottom land, bounded on the south and west by the Walnut, on the north by the Timber and on the east by a fine range of mounds, and on January 13th they commenced the organization of the Winfield Town Company. It was named after Winfield Scott, a noted Baptist preacher from Leavenworth, KS. The town company organized with E. C. Manning as president and used his claim of land and his house as the roots from which to grow. Main Street was one of the first projects to be laid out and spanned 120 feet wide over 40 acres from the North to the South. Winfield was elected the county seat on May 2nd 1870 and was incorporated as a city of the third class, on Feb. 22nd, 1873.